Banner image            Home    What's New    Articles    Images    Subjects    Corrections    Advanced Search    Timeline    Maps    Multimedia    About
The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History

LYNDHURST - The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History

LYNDHURST, incorporated as the village of Euclidville in 1917, was originally part of EUCLID It was renamed Lyndhurst in 1920 and incorporated as a city in 1951. The name, chosen in a high school contest, was taken from Lyndhurst, NJ. It occupies 4.6 sq. mi. and is situated to the east of SOUTH EUCLID, west of MAYFIELD HEIGHTS, north of BEACHWOOD, and south of RICHMOND HEIGHTS and HIGHLAND HEIGHTS The region had been settled by German immigrants and emphasized AGRICULTURE before World War I. Its population was 288 in 1920. The installation of water mains in 1922 and the increased availability of automobiles caused the city to grow as a suburb. In 1940 its population stood at 2,391. In 1923 Lyndhurst residents strongly resisted a move to combine their schools with those of South Euclid. In 1924, however, a landmark court decision ruled that the broad interests of EDUCATION prevail; the schools were combined. The 1993 combined school system had an enrollment of 4,408 in 7 elementary, 1 junior high, and 1 high school. The major growth of Lyndhurst took place after World War II. Principally residential, with a population of 15,982 in 1990, the city had no factories, though it had a number of retail businesses, many centered at Richmond and Mayfield roads. In 1983 TRW, INC., constructed its world headquarters in Lyndhurst on the site of the former estate of CHESTER CASTLE BOLTON† and FRANCES PAYNE BOLTON†. In the 1990s recreational facilities included 2 swimming pools, 3 tennis courts, 1 public and 2 private golf courses, and 2 major park systems totaling 43.5 acres. Nine churches were located in the city. The population in 2000 was 15,279.

Keyerleber, Karl. Hometown: The Story of Lyndhurst (1950).

See also SUBURBS.

Last Modified: 22 Jun 2003 01:41:57 PM

Related Article(s)
This site maintained by Case Western Reserve University