Banner image            Home    What's New    Articles    Images    Subjects    Corrections    Advanced Search    Timeline    Maps    Multimedia    About
The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History

ASBURY SEMINARY - The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History

ASBURY SEMINARY, incorporated in 1839 in CHAGRIN FALLS TOWNSHIP by the Methodist Conference, offered an advanced secondary education during the mid-1800s. It provided teacher training, business education, and a college preparatory course. The seminary was named for Rev. Francis Asbury, an American Methodist bishop. Rev. Lorenzo D. Williams, who had managed a small private school in Chagrin Falls, was the first principal. A building was erected in 1842. The seminary operated for 19 years, until it was sold in 1858 to the Chagrin Falls Board of Education for use as Union School.


Last Modified: 11 Jul 1997 09:25:58 AM

Related Article(s)
This site maintained by Case Western Reserve University